Rational numbers in D

Paul D. Anderson paul.d.removethis.anderson at comcast.andthis.net
Sun Jun 10 12:05:18 PDT 2012

It seems like we ought to have rational numbers in Phobos along
with other number types. Something like this:

std.number.rational;
std.number.decimal;
std.number.integer; (fixed-size signed and unsigned integers,
"safe" integers that throw on overflow or rollover, like Andrei's
CheckedInt module, etc.
std.number.complex; (I know, I know)
std.number.quaternion;
std.number.fixedpoint;
std.number.interval (Interval arithmetic on floating-point
numbers)

We also need compatible scalar, vector, matrix, multiarray
modules, etc.

Many of these exist, but aren't incorporated in Phobos. I think
we need to be more aggressive in recruiting functionality for
Phobos. There are a lot of talented coders out there.

Paul