Rational numbers in D

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 12:23:20 PDT 2012

On 10.06.2012 23:05, Paul D. Anderson wrote:
> It seems like we ought to have rational numbers in Phobos along with
> other number types. Something like this:
>
> std.number.rational;
> std.number.decimal;
> std.number.integer; (fixed-size signed and unsigned integers, "safe"
> integers that throw on overflow or rollover, like Andrei's CheckedInt
> module, etc.
> std.number.complex; (I know, I know)
> std.number.quaternion;
> std.number.fixedpoint;
> std.number.interval (Interval arithmetic on floating-point numbers)

Let's turn numeric into a package. Then
std.numeric.algorithms - existing std.numeric
std.numeric.decimal
std.numeric.integer (or even better - fixnum)
std.numeric.quaternion
I'd argue even std.complex should go there.

> We also need compatible scalar, vector, matrix, multiarray modules, etc.
>
> Many of these exist, but aren't incorporated in Phobos. I think we need
> to be more aggressive in recruiting functionality for Phobos. There are
> a lot of talented coders out there.

Right. If anything people around here lack time not talent or dedication.

--
Dmitry Olshansky