Mersenne Twister Seeding and UUIDs

Era Scarecrow rtcvb32 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 13 21:12:09 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 10 June 2012 at 08:20:37 UTC, Andrew Talbot wrote:
> Andrew Talbot wrote:
>
>> which I presume gives it 232 starting points, whereas I
>> believe there should also be an alternative option to seed it
>> with an array of up to 624 uintS, so that potentially it can
>> be started in any one of its 19,937 internal states.
>
> Of course I meant "...in any one of its 2^19,937 internal
> states".

  This does take me back a few years when I was making a PRNG that
accepted an int for seeding (to be compatible with C's srand). My
solution ended up being that if you didn't use the RNG before you
seeded it again it would append to the seed internally; So 2
int's worth would be a 64bit seed.

  Anyways it's mostly a thought. I'm sure you'll get far better
answers from everyone else.