Review: std.uuid

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Jun 14 03:04:20 PDT 2012

On Thursday, June 14, 2012 11:55:51 Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> > aliases are useless for dealing with conflicts as long as private aliases
> > aren't hidden. At present, I'd argue that private aliases are bad practice
> > unless you alias things to very esoteric names which aren't likely to
> > conflict. It would really be nice to have that fixed though.
>
> Right, but that's a bug.

Actually, it's not. It's by design. private never hides _anything_ and is
always considered _after_ overload resolution. That's how it works in C++, and
that's how it works in D. If we want it to change, we need to convince Walter.
Personally, I think that we'd be better off if we made private hidden, but I
don't know if we can convince Walter of that. Regardless, someone else will
probably have to implement the changes. IIRC, someone had done something along
those lines and created a pull request, but I don't know what happened with
it.

- Jonathan M Davis