AST files instead of DI interface files for faster compilation and easier distribution

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com
Mon Jun 18 06:07:25 PDT 2012

On 17/06/12 00:37, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/14/2012 1:03 AM, Don Clugston wrote:
>>> It is for debug builds.
>> Iain's data indicates that it's only a few % of the time taken on
>> semantic1().
>> Do you have data that shows otherwise?
>
> Nothing recent, it's mostly from my C++ compiler testing.

But you argued in your blog that C++ parsing is inherently slow, and
you've fixed those problems in the design of D.
And as far as I can tell, you were extremely successful!
Parsing in D is very, very fast.

>>> Yes, it is designed so you could just import a symbol table. It is done
>>> as source code, however, because it's trivial to implement.
>>
>> It has those nasty side-effects listed under (3) though.
>
> I don't think they're nasty or are side effects.

They are new problems which people ask for solutions for. And they are
far more difficult to solve than the original problem.