DMD + msvc

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 08:08:32 PDT 2012

On 18 June 2012 11:38, Kagamin <spam at here.lot> wrote:

> On Sunday, 17 June 2012 at 10:49:30 UTC, Gor Gyolchanyan wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reply.
>> This is so ridiculous and frustrating.
>>

> Use GDC?

I use GDC now. It produces COFF objects, and is technically capable of
linking against MSVC code, except the 2 compilers expect different runtimes.
You have to be REALLY careful with your GDC code to make sure it doesn't
produce implicit calls into the GNU runtime, otherwise you'll get link
conflicts.
You can afford some really standard runtime calls that are also present in
the mscrt, and it'll just link to those instead of the gnu ones.

I have successfully build small scale projects with GDC linking against
MSVC code, but there's a long list of problems and gotchas...
My current approach is to build D code into DLL's and dynamically link
against my MSVC code, or vice-versa.

Hopefully the new 64bit dmd comes soon :)