Shared objects?

Wouter Verhelst wouter at grep.be
Mon Jun 18 08:22:14 PDT 2012

Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> writes:

> On 2012-06-18 16:56, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>> However, what
>> I don't find is the answer to the two following questions:
>>
>> - Does D support dlopen(), or some similar mechanism, to allow me to
>>    load plugins at runtime?
>
> Yes. You can compile D code to a standard dynamic library, just as you
> would using C.

Cool.

>> - If it does, does Object.factory() still work for new classes loaded in
>>    through dlopen() (or its functional equivalence)?
>
> No.
>
> Dynamic libraries are currently not working properly in D. The runtime
> needs to be updated to handle it. There are some problem with module
> info, exception handling tables and TLS. There might be some problem
> left with PIC as well.
>
> This is worked on and hopefully we will have a solution not too far in
> the future.

Ah, too bad.

Do you have a pointer to some more detailed information on this? Just so
I can get a feel for how fast things are moving, and/or whether it's
worth for me to wait for that -- I can get started on the other parts;
while the plugin architecture would be crucial eventually, it's not
something I'll need from the very beginning.

Thanks,

the following formula:

pi zz a