Clang-based service architecture

Guillaume Chatelet chatelet.guillaume at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 23:33:59 PDT 2012

Google by the voice of Chandler Carruth made this proposal a few days ago

https://plus.google.com/u/0/108216155797501293389/posts/WDheftEoxMT

It aims at building a clang daemon to parse, compile, and generate
informations about source code. Basically
+ multithreaded, distributed compilation
+ coherent support of the language (C/C++/ObjC) throughout IDEs or text
editors ( formatting, syntax highlight, realtime report of compilation
errors/warning, maybe static analysis )

The D community already is moving toward this direction as I can see (
Roman D. Boiko's proposal or Robert Schadek "Distributed Multithreaded
Caching D Compiler" ) and that's awesome news !

Also the idea of getting compiler error/warning, formatting, syntax
highlight as a service looks very sweet to me. A wonderful way to unite
and keep everything in sync from text editor to more powerful IDEs.