DMD + msvc

Rene Zwanenburg renezwanenburg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 07:16:03 PDT 2012

On Monday, 18 June 2012 at 17:51:39 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/17/2012 3:34 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> 1. DMD can only output OMF binaries
>> 2. DMD cannot output 64bit code for Windows
>> 3. DMD is not compatible with the MSVC linker or runtime
>

> I intend to fix all of those, at least for 64 bit Windows, in
> the near term.

COFF and 64 bit support for windows are on the top of my wish
list for D, so this is great news! A few questions:

What do you mean by 'at least for 64 bit windows'? No COFF
support when targeting, or building on, 32 bit?

'in the near term': I know it's a hard question, but does that
mean a few months, or more like a year?

Perhaps we could look into writing a COFF linker in D to replace
optlink, that way OMF support can be dropped completely. It'd be
cool to have part of the toolchain written in D itself. It's not
a high priority though, since the MS linker comes with the free
Express editions of Visual Studio.

Anyways, this is really exiting. It'll greatly ease use of C
libraries on windows, even open-source ones, because most don't
compile out-of-the-box with dmc.