GDC review process.

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Jun 19 12:02:24 PDT 2012

Alex Rønne Petersen:

>Further, I doubt the GCC maintainers would actually approve of
>doing this.

I know nothing about how GCC maintainers do their work. Can you
explain why they have accepted a D front-end but refuse a change
like that? Are they believing that D is a kind of re-syntaxed
C/C++ that requires zero back-end changes?

Are LLVM developers sharing the same opinions? In the LLVM blog I
have read plenty about small but significant changes in LLVM
needed to implement an efficient back-end for GHC (the main
Haskell compiler), so are LLVM developers different and more
gentle than the GCC devs?

Thank you for your answers,
bearophile