GDC review process.

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Jun 19 12:14:52 PDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 20:19 +0200, Iain Buclaw wrote:
[…]
> 1) D Inline Asm and naked function support is raising far too
> many alarm bells. So would just be easier to remove it and avoid
> all the other comments on why we need middle-end and backend
> headers in gdc.

I can do without inline assembly language.  If I need assembly language
code, I can write a function in assembly language.

> 2) Code with #if V1 and V2 raised another bell with the request
> to remove all code that relies on internal macros with proper
> if() conditions. If something is always going to be turned off,
> remove it.
>
> So, we shall also be saying bye bye D1 in GDC.  We'll miss you!

I never used V1 (though I do have the Tango book) so enforcing V2 will
nto be a problem. Actually this means I can delete 65% of the SCons D
tool :-)))))))))

> 3) For anyone who has submitted patches for Mingw and Apple -
> sorry, but I'm going to have to yank out or alter certain bits.
> Apple GCC is irrelevant now, and some Mingw checks look for
> if(target) when it should really be checking if(host) and vice
> versa!

Is Apple GCC irrelevant? Apple itself has switched to Clang but GCC is
still available via MacPorts – or am I missing something obvious, I am
only an occasional Mac OS X user.

> Most discussion I would imagine be on the decision to remove D
> inline assembler support from gdc.  So, nay sayers, do your
> worst, but unfortunately there is a +1 here for removal.

I could put in a -1 if pushed, but +1 is fine by me!

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk