GDC review process.

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Jun 19 13:36:53 PDT 2012

Iain Buclaw:

> From what I gathered from further discussion, it made sense for
> embedded platforms, such as ARM, but not x86.

Why?

If this whole discussion wants to go somewhere, and not just be a
waste of everyone time like similar past discussions on such
topics, it needs a *much larger* amount of technical arguments,
both pro and against the various positions.

This discussion also requires people that work on LDC, to see
their problems.

If I write inline asm code on DMD I'd really like the code to
compile on GDC too, on the same CPU and OS.

----------------------

Walter:

> No, but the idea was to allow D to innovate on calling
> conventions without disturbing code that needed to
> interface with C.

The idea is nice, but ideas aren't enough. Where are the
benchmarks that show a performance improvement over the C calling
convention? And even if such improvement is present, is it worth
it in the face of people that don't want to add it to GCC?

Bye,
bearophile