GDC review process.

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 14:41:13 PDT 2012

Le 19/06/2012 23:22, Manu a écrit :
> If you had the register alias feature I described above, would you be
> ale to write such low-level manipulations using intrinsics?
> I think I would be able to rewrite all x86 asm blocks I've ever written
> using that feature.

No, I couldn't. Such code involved stack manipulations that cannot be
emulated by such a feature.

> ARM and PPC both have unique features relating to their branch control
> and branch prediction that x86 doesn't have. Sadly, all high level
> languages COMPLETELY overlook such features when designing high level
> expressions, because they are traditionally designed for x86 first.
> A thorough set of intrinsics can allow access to these features though,
> although since they're related to branch control/conditional execution,
> it feels clumsy, since you lose the feeling of structured code; ie, no
> scoped if blocks, loop constructs, etc,  if you have to use intrinsics
> to generate conditions or masks.
>
> ARM is the most common architecture on earth now. It would be nice if D
> were able to take better advantage of the architecture.

Even if it is true, you don't address the actual interrogation. The
discussion was about the naked functionality, and some advanced that
naked can be useful on ARM, but not on x86. The specificities of ARM you
mention here don't explain that point. (I don't want to pronounce myself
on PPC as I have no experience on it).