Shared objects?

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Jun 20 04:21:11 PDT 2012

On 2012-06-20 09:50, R. Grocott wrote:
> I'm not too experienced with Github - am I right in thinking that
> the SharedRuntime repository has been idle for six months? If so,
> does this indicate that Martin has likely abandoned the project?

The last commit was three months ago, Mars 20, 2012:

https://github.com/dawgfoto/druntime/commits/SharedRuntime

> Like Wouter, I'm looking into developing a project with D that
> would eventually require plugins, and I could really do with a
> definite answer whether or not this functionality is expected to
> be available within, say, twelve months. Is there anybody I could
> contact who's likely to know the answer?

Yes, I think it will be available within twelve months.

> One last question - when you say that the runtime can't yet
> properly handle dynamic library loading, does this apply equally
> to both DMD and GDC? I know that both projects share a fair
> amount of common code.

I think it applies to GDC as well. Unless GDC uses its own fork of the
runtime and have fixes for this.

Note that you can load dynamic libraries wirtten in C. It probably works
with D as well, just not all features.

What probably will not work are:

* Module constructors
* Module info
* Exceptions (not sure about this, might just be limited to crossing
dynamic library boundaries)
* TLS
* Probably some other stuff I've forgotten

--
/Jacob Carlborg