How do I submit documentation...

Chad J chadjoan at __spam.is.bad__gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 11:33:21 PDT 2012

On 06/24/2012 01:33 PM, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> On Sunday, 24 June 2012 at 01:30:14 UTC, Chad J wrote:
>
>> No way it is that easy. My situation called for this:
>>
>> src/web
>> src/phobos
>> src/druntime
>
> I was and am not in Linux to look at my setup so I may have gotten the
> names wrong but I know I don't have them start with src/ (hmmm, maybe it
> has changed). The name for phobos didn't matter since that is where you
> build from, and the make file did mention d-programming-language.org as
> a directory so I just assumed. web I'm pretty sure is created by
> building the docs, and I completely forgot to mention druntime.
>
>> dmd
>> linux/bin64/dmd -> ../../dmd/src/dmd
>> linux/bin64/dmd.conf (Copy this from a released zip file.)
>> linux/lib64/libphobos2.a ->
>> ../../src/phobos/generated/linux/debug/32/libphobos2.a
>> linux/lib64/libdruntime.a ->
>> ../../src/druntime/lib/libdruntime.a
>>
>> dmd.conf may need editing.
>
> This was all hidden under the "you'll have to convince your
> environment to use the one you build though" I created a bash file to
> call DMD providing the proper libraries. I've had issues with it though,
> but hopefully I've convinced it to stop grabbing the system libraries I
> have installed.
>
> This really isn't a problem with the repositories though. The setup is
> pretty simple, but ld will be looking in your system libraries first and
> the repositories cannot mess with your environment.

Oh, but I think it is.

If you have all of the repositories tracked by a single repository that
cements the directory structure of a D distribution, then you can
streamline the build process.  The makefile in the ./dmd/src should be
able to place the compiler executable into ./<platform>/bin<arch>/dmd.
Also, druntime and phobos makefiles should place their library files
into ./<platform>/lib<arch>/*.*.  dmd.conf and any other release
requirements should also be included in this meta-repository.  I should
be able to sit at the toplevel of this meta-repository (./ that is) and
type "make all" and end up with all of the contents that end up in a zip
file in all of the places they end up in the zip file, plus website
things.  It should be everything needed to make a D release, minus the
secret keys to actually write to the digitalmars.com website.  With a
setup like this, it would require /zero/ time to convince things to use
the correct paths (aside from maybe editing your PATH variable once or
running the installer that is hopefully also included in the meta-repo).