dlang.org live examples

nazriel damian at dzfl.pl
Mon Jun 25 08:31:52 PDT 2012

On Monday, 25 June 2012 at 14:59:35 UTC, Kevin wrote:
> On 25/06/12 10:43, nazriel wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I am polishing up this stuff:
>> http://dlang.dzfl.pl/
>>
>> It would allow to run examples from http://dlang.org directly
>> in
>> web-browser.
>> Something like http://dpaste.dzfl.pl, but integrated with dlang
>> website itself.
>>
>> I would like to ask you about your opinions and advises.
>>
>> There are couple things I can't make my mind on.
>>
>> First, should standard input and command line arguments be
>> constant
>> defined in hidden html fields, or should we allow user to pick
>> their own?
>> It would allow for more freedom and experience but on
>> other-hand it
>> would bloat too much website. Whats your opinion?
>>
>> Another thing are examples itself. As you may noticed I
>> modified some
>> of em too give some experience in browser, for example, I've
>> added
>> writeln blocks in Power section.
>> What should we do with 'em? Examples to run properly requires
>> main
>> functions, and loads of examples doesn't have them. Should we
>> adjust
>> those examples or leave them alone? Another thing are examples
>> that
>> doesn't return or display anything.
>> Like assert(foo !is null); examples. Should we make them
>> throw, add
>> some writelns or leave them alone?
>>
>> I would love to hear your opinion on those.
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Damian 'nazriel' Ziemba
> What I am picturing is having the code samples just like we do
> now with
> a little "Try It!" button in the corner.  When you click it it
> pops up a
> full version with all of the necessary wrapping and lets you
> run it and
> mess around.   For the stdin I would have a little pane that
> can slide
> out.  This might be a little more javascript than you were
> imagining but
> I could help you with that if you want.
>
> This way you keep it pretty while providing a full-featured
> environment.  Also, have you considered using the ideone api to
> save
> yourself all of the security issues or is there something wrong
> with
> what they provide?
>
> I don't think that people are going to run every sample and
> this is why
> I think it is better to hide most of the features and I don't
> think
> people will mind the small delay that another tab or javascript
> window
> takes to open.
>
> Kevin

Hmm, pop-up approach isn't that bad, but IMHO it isn't too
professional approach  in now-days. Popups are also IMHO quite
annoying and ugly. But of course thank you for suggestion!

In overall I wanted to keep things simple, as you see, not much
changed excluding adding 2 buttons, and line numbers on left-side
(which anyways, can be disabled, well, also example itself can be
edited :p)

About security, that isn't an issue. Examples uses
http://dpaste.dzfl.pl/ API to run them. Dpaste service itself
cares about security. Why not use IDEONE? They have really
outdated D compiler and I don't have possibility to change
anything in it. For example I've added Command Line arguments to
http://dpaste.dzlf.pl to allow smooth run of some examples (like
word-count) and I can change/add anything at anytime while
examples may requires something.