Partial classes

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Jun 26 03:53:29 PDT 2012

On 2012-06-26 01:43, Walter Bright wrote:

> Monkey-patching has, in Ruby, been popular and powerful. It has also
> turned out to be a disaster. It does not scale, and is not conducive to
> more than one person/team working on the code base.

I have only found it being very useful. I have never found it to be a
disaster. Have you ever used Ruby?

Ruby on Rails has to be the most popular Ruby library/framework and it
adds a lot of new functionality to existing classes in the standard library.

But just as with everything else you have to be responsible. In Ruby you
can replace arbitrary methods and classes, even in the standard library.
In D you can overwrite an arbitrary piece of memory.

--
/Jacob Carlborg