Raw binary(to work without OS) in D

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Wed Jun 27 05:21:45 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 27 June 2012 at 12:15:37 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 6/22/12 7:41 AM, Don Clugston wrote:
>> I think the main thing that's still done in C is the floating
>> point
>> formatting.
>
> Would be great if a contributor could translate FP parsing and
> formatting code into D. Then we can use it in CTFE. I need it
> badly for some function tabulation code.

Same here; I need it for a side-feature in Thrift (exporting IDL
for existing types at a compile time), where I'm currently just
using a horrible hack which rounds slightly wrong.

There a quite a few papers about efficient floating point
formatting out there, and it should not be hard to convert one of
the described algorithms into actual code. I originally planned
to do it myself last summer, but never found the time to…

David