Douglas Crockford on JavaScript and bad styles

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Fri Jun 29 06:57:32 PDT 2012

On 06/29/2012 09:13 AM, Manipulator wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF0LH5GvQI3u9c36oAAzWXQ/videos
>
> Just watched these videos with Douglas Crockford and thought that he
> made some very good points.
>
> Why we still design languages that invite bad styles?

That is quite obvious from Crockford's talk alone:
Because that kind of language is popular.

> I feel that many people in the D community is the exhibitionist type of
> person. Let's stop!

I'd have to disagree with this statement, because of the following facts:

1. There is no formal language specification.
2. There are fewer unexpected edge cases, because the language is
    better designed than JS.
3. The compiler does not implement them correctly, and abusing bugs is
    likely to result in code that changes its behaviour or becomes
    illegal.

Because of 1, nobody can study the language specification, because of
2 and 3, finding unexpected edge cases is unproductive (you are more
likely to segfault the compiler than to find exploitable behaviour), and
because of 1 and 3, found edge cases are hard to successfully
leverage into bad style D code.

D/DMD in its current state does not support exhibitionism!