Two Scala annotations

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Jun 30 19:00:29 PDT 2012

On 6/30/2012 6:05 PM, bearophile wrote:
> Walter Bright:
>
>> It's not a bug. It's deliberate, and is there to support mechanical
>> translation of Java code.
>
> Is this stuff written somewhere in a D design rationales page?
>
> Now that D is several years old, how much Java code was ported to D? (Despite
> there is no mechanical Java->D translator yet).

Yes, a mechanical translator was used extensively to create dwt.

> Was this automatic translation
> desire worth the troubles (like inner classes,

Yes.

> like the risk of killing switch optimizations by mistake)?

Calling it a "risk" and "killing" is way, way overstating things.

> This post is about two Scala annotations. If that's not a bug, is something like
> that first Scala annotation useful in D too?

I don't really see any problem requiring a solution. If you're working on
optimizations at that level, you ought to be comfortable examining the asm
output for that and all the other stuff, too. Setting a store on just one aspect
of switch implementations is a large mistake.