Productions users

SomeDude lovelydear at mailmetrash.com
Sat Jun 30 22:16:34 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 28 June 2012 at 07:43:58 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Thursday, June 28, 2012 09:29:14 Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:

>> > I would have expected "in production" to _only_ mean
>> > commercial projects.
>> >
>> > - Jonathan M Davis
>>
>> I think it would be a mistake to only highlight commercial
>> users. As
>> Tobias pointed out, there are many non-profit organizations
>> running on
>> open source software that are well-known.
>
> Oh, I wasn't suggesting that we only highlight commercial
> projects. I was just
> saying that I expected the term "in production" to refer to
> commercial
> projects spefically. Whether we want to highlight major open
> source projects
> and/or other non-commercial projects is another matter entirely
> - though I
> suspect that commercial projects would generally carry more
> weight than other
> types of projects in terms of convincing people that D is being
> used seriously
> in the real world.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

In the contrary, the fact that it is commercial or not doesn't
really matter.
If it's used daily in an open source project which is in turn
used in commercial or non profit applications, it qualifies for
production use. If it's a critical software for whatever use,
being internal to a company or a non profit group (wikipedia  for
instance), running 24/7, then I think it also qualifies for
production use. No need to split hair here.