Review of Jose Armando Garcia Sancio's std.log

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Mar 1 06:38:57 PST 2012

On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 10:09:28AM +0100, Mikael Lindsten wrote:
> On Monday, 27 February 2012 at 18:10:15 UTC, Kalle Svensson wrote:
> >* I agree that it is a good idea just to use few log levels.
[...]
> I second what Kalle Svensson is saying.
>
> My belief is that when there are many log levels, people don't use
> them as intended or only use a subset of them, often a combination.
[...]

I used to think that the more log levels, the better. But later, based
on what I observe in real-life projects, I see that most people don't
bother trying to figure out what each log level means (they are too lazy
/ busy to read the docs) so they just randomly pick one that "sounds
right" (which usually is equal to "totally wrong"). Let this happen for
a few iterations of the software, and you end up with so many wrong
level messages that the whole log level system basically becomes
useless. This problem gets worse proportionally to the number of people
on the project.

What's a "hot crossed bun"? An angry rabbit.