Poll of the week: main OS and compiler

Bernard Helyer b.helyer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 13:16:44 PST 2012

On Friday, 2 March 2012 at 11:53:56 UTC, Manu wrote:
> Personally, I just want to be able to link like a normal
> windows developer.
> My code is C/C++, built with VC, and I want to link my D app
> against those
> libs using the VC linker, and debug with Visual Studio. This is
> the
> workflow I think the vast majority of Windows devs will expect,
> and it
> sounds simple enough. This is the only thing standing between
> me using D
> for any major projects, and just experimenting with the
> language for
> evaluation, or just academic interest.
> 64bit is far less important to me personally, VisualC linker
> compatibility
> is the big one. I just want to link against my C code without
> jumping
> through lots of hoops.

No one thinks that's a bad idea. The trouble is the amount of
developers that actually understand the backend enough to
implement another object format (which is what's needed to
support the VisualC linker) is very small.

What's needed is someone to take the time to learn it then do it.
Someone motivated, and smart. Not unlike yourself! :P