Where did the specification ebook go?

Jakob Ovrum jakobovrum at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 23:36:44 PST 2012

On Sunday, 4 March 2012 at 06:29:06 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 3/3/2012 9:25 PM, Jakob Ovrum wrote:
>> There is a link to a file `dlangspec.mobi` on this page:
>>
>> http://dlang.org/spec.html
>>
>> The ebook link is dead. I tried building an ebook myself using
>> the makefile, but
>> to no avail; kindlegen encountered dozens of problems with the
>> generated
>> dlangspec.html.
>>
>> Anyway, spec.html is not even reachable through any links on
>> the site as far as
>> I can tell. Shouldn't "Language Reference" in the sidebar link
>> to that page? It
>> currently sends you to lex.html. "Library Reference" links to
>> an (incomplete!)
>> overview of Phobos; it's probably a good idea to have the two
>> links behave the
>> same, even if that means "Library Reference" linking to, say,
>> /phobos/object.html.
>>
>> I see that there is also an ebook sold on Amazon linked from
>> that page; not sure
>> what I think about monetizing an open source site like that,
>> even if the
>> copyrights of contributors are technically yielded to Walter.
>> I'm thinking there
>> might be some good reason here, though.
>
> Amazon's minimum price for an ebook is $.99 (after all, Amazon
> is entitled to make some money off of their system). The
> Digital Mars cut of this "monetization" works out to $.35 per
> copy. I can assure you that nobody is getting rich off of that.
>
> But if that still offends anyone, that's why it is linked to on
> the web site. It seems to have suffered bit rot in the transfer
> of the site to dlang.org, and simply having a number of people
> working on the text. It needs fixing.
>
> I have attempted to donate it to the local government library,
> but they ignore my repeated emails and phone messages (I
> suspect that nobody actually works there).
>
> I attempted to add it to Amazon's free lending library, but
> Amazon refused it because the book is not exclusive to Amazon.

Ah, I suspected the reason was something like that, I think
that's great :)

Sorry if it sounded like an attack, and thank you for clearing
that up for me.

> For these and other bit rot issues with the ebook, please add a
> pull request to github to fix them.

Right, just making sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

So, does anyone have any thoughts on whether "Language Reference"
should link to spec.html or keep its current behaviour?