D Changelog is messed up.

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Mon Mar 5 10:50:12 PST 2012

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 5:50 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu <
SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

> On 3/5/12 4:28 AM, Don Clugston wrote:
>
>> Actually this is a release process issue.
>> The problem is that those pages are visible at all. Nobody should see
>> that, unless they pulled the docs from git.
>> That's not the docs for the current release, it's the docs for the next
>> one. It's not just the changelog.
>>

> Agreed. We do have a process in place for phobos and druntime, but not for
> the main docs.
>
> Andrei

My opinion of how it should work is there should be a "next-release" branch
where all release specific changes go.  master can be used for all changes
that do not depend on the upcoming release.  Setting it up is pretty simple.

    git branch next-release # branch from master
    git push origin next-release # add branch to GitHub

Repository contributors can just commit their release specific changes to
next-release and push. We plebeians can create pull requests that target
the next-release branch (how to do this isn't all that intuitive on GitHub
but it's pretty trivial to actually do:
http://help.github.com/send-pull-requests/ ).

When a new version is about to be released just:

    git merge next-release # while master is checked out

And all release specific changes will end up on master from which you can
deploy to the website.

I've actually got a pull request <
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/d-programming-language.org/pull/95>
that is exactly the right fit for this type of setup.  Pulling it in to
master means users would expect it to work but it won't until after the
next dmd release (which would hopefully include the companion pull request
making the change). As it stands now I just have to be sure to make the
pull conditions clear in the description which, frankly, doesn't seem to
work all that well (e.g., see the recent windows curl pulls that were
merged prematurely).

Regards,
Brad Anderson