Review of Jose Armando Garcia Sancio's std.log

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Mon Mar 5 15:30:03 PST 2012

On Monday, 5 March 2012 at 21:55:08 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> The log aliases use names that are too common.  I think
> log.info is a better symbol for logging than just 'info', which
> could be a symbol in a myriad of places.  Given that D's symbol
> lookup rules allow shadowing of global symbols, this does not
> work out very well.

Originally, the code used log!info and so on, but it was changed
to the current design right after review begin, the rationale
being that you could always use »import log = std.log« if you
want the extra namespace.

> Like others have stated, I think vlog is a) confusing, and b)
> unnecessary.  Even reading the docs, I can't understand what
> it's used for, and why it has such different syntax than the
> normal logging stuff.

I think this been modelled after glog's verbose logging support
[1], just like much of the rest of the design (by the way, I
think a note about this should added somewhere in the module
docs). Does the feature as described in the glog docs make sense
to you?

> I really like the every function, that's a great idea, one that
> I've manually implemented (at least the once every N times)
> many times.

I love it too, a similar design served me really well in some
larger *shudder* ActionScript projects.

David

[1]
http://google-glog.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/glog.html#verbose