Review of Jose Armando Garcia Sancio's std.log

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Mar 5 17:32:54 PST 2012

On Tuesday, March 06, 2012 02:22:05 so wrote:
> That is not a counter-argument to something related to this
> library but everything that lies in global namespace.
> At its first state both severity levels and the "log" was in
> global namespace. Now only severity levels.
>
> You are also overlooking one crucial fact that this library will
> be part of phobos, standard library. Which requires everyone to
> adopt. When you see codes like this (below), you don't blame
> standard library designers do you?
>
> using namespace std;
> int cout;

Except that cout is not exactly something that would be considered a normal
variable name. Something like info _is_. This logging module is taking
incredibly common names and shoving them as far into the global namespace as
anything can go in D which isn't a compiler built-in. _Not_ a good idea IMHO -
not without good reason. And I really don't think that this merits it.
log!info(msg) would work just fine and would be _far_ better.

- Jonathan M Davis