dereferencing null

Chad J chadjoan at __spam.is.bad__gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 04:57:26 PST 2012

On 03/06/2012 03:27 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 3/5/2012 11:51 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> Yeah, C and C++ might not do what's suggested but basically all other
>> languages
>> do it.
>

> People turn to C and C++ for systems work and high performance.

Optional.  Flags.

If there is a truly unavoidable trade-off, then you give users CHOICE.
Your opinion on this matter does not work well for /everyone/ in practice.

Not to mention that there seems to be a completely avoidable trade-off
here.  A few posts have mentioned handlers in Linux that would work for
printing traces, though not for recovery.  Seems kinda no-brainer.

I'd still want the /choice/ to incur higher runtime overhead to make
null dereferences and maybe a few other obvious ones behave consistently
with other exceptions in the language.  *I* would set this flag in a
heartbeat; *you* don't have to.