A better way to manage discussions?

Dejan Lekic dejan.lekic at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 07:45:20 PST 2012

Sandeep Datta wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I just wanted to say I am pretty impressed with the revamped D
> forums. TBH I tried to join in on the conversion many times
> before the change but the ancient NNTP based approach was just
> not palatable enough. But needless to say we have come a long way
> from that.
>
> Having said that I have a question for the veterans...have you at
> any point considered using a publicly hosted discussion forum
> (like reddit)?
>
> I miss the ability to edit and monitor my posts (without spamming
> my inbox). Also the upvote and downvote buttons can come in handy
> sometimes too (for example if you did not like this post you
> could downvote it to oblivion).
>
> Regards,
> Sandeep Datta.

Sandeep, FYI, it is still NNTP behind the forum. It is not an ancient
protocol, it is still perfectly suitable for what it was made for... HTTP is
still an "ancient" protocol, yet you still use it... We still use IRC and we
like it. Etc... I guess your problem lies in the client. Yes, the old, web-
based news client was awful. New one is amazing.