Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 10:36:06 PST 2012

On Tuesday, 6 March 2012 at 18:06:46 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> I have to disagree on this one.

If it was actually
"gratuitouslyOverlongFullySpelledOutVariableNames" I might
agree, but curr vs current is a whole other story.

Abbreviating a concept makes sense: i, j, rather than
iterationIndex or whatever. You might say "std.random.uniform"
rather than "randomNumberFromASetWithAUniformDistribution".

But, abbreviating /words/ is where it gets silly.
"rndNumSetUniDist" is a worse name than the long one,
since not only is it verbose, it has bizarre abbreviations
to remember too!

"dur" is the same concept as "duration"; it isn't a simpler
name. It isn't even significantly shorter. The biggest
difference is it isn't my first guess.

> The fault is with inconsistency, not with abbreviations.

It is some of both: inconsistency with words I already
know (regular English) is what leads to the first guess
being wrong.