Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Mar 6 10:36:02 PST 2012

"Adam D. Ruppe" <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:tppqmlbrqjavpandezzz at forum.dlang.org...

> Why aren't we using real words here? Real words are easier
> to remember and easier to type.

Some of the examples you point out are indeed bad. But at the same time, I
agree with H.S. Teoh that abbreviations, when used properly (again, some of
the ones pointed out are *not* done well) are much better than Java/C#-style
overlySpelledOutNames.

> But "dur"? "curr"?

The "dur" is probably bad (now that you mention it), but I'm very much in
favor of "curr". It's a very common need to have some "currentWhatever" (so
it makes sence to make it less verbose), and the abbreviation "curr" is very
common (so there's no problem with using that abbreviation). I use "curr"
all the time.