Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Mar 6 10:49:34 PST 2012

"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote in message
news:mailman.70.1331058850.4860.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...

> But my point stands, that I find many of
> these names just way too long for my tastes. Like BufferedOutputStream.
> Ugh. I mean, we're writing programs here, not
> essays.

Exactly. Totally agree. I hate programming langauge arguments that amount to
"It's not like English!". Yea? So what? It *isn't* English and it's not
supposed to be!

It'd be a hell of a lot easier for someone unfamiliar with mathematical
symbols to read this:

5 times quantity 7 plus 3 end of quantity

Erm, I mean:

Five times quantity seven plus three end of quantity

Look! It's just normal English! And the editor can highlight it properly! No
need to remember arbitrary symbols that aren't spelled-out! I mean, shit,
how does a vertical and horizontal line mean "plus"? I can't remember that!

But obviously that would be stupid. You just (trivially) learn that + is
shorthand for "plus", ) is shorthand for "end of quantity", etc. (erm,
excuse me..."et cetera"), and that verbose mess becomes the far, FAR more
readable:

5 * (7+3)