Review of Jose Armando Garcia Sancio's std.log

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 6 13:08:42 PST 2012

On Tue, 6 Mar 2012, Jose Armando Garcia wrote:

> Future:
>
> 1. Allowing filtering of regular log messages (like info, warning,
> etc) based on the module. Similar to how vlog works.

Once you add module filtering to the regularly log messages, what's the
point of having the separate vlog?  I think this needs to be figured out
before merge, not at some vague future.

> Fix now:
>
> 1. Add thread name attribute to the default logger
> 2. Check that the example compile
> 3. Come up with a better name for Rich and rich template
> 4. Add @safe pure nothrow const to as many methods as possible
> 5. Remove check when setting Configuration.logger

I still believe pretty strongly that the logger must not affect
application flow, ie, not throw or exit the app.  From the feed back, I am
not alone in thinking that.  I don't believe that "well, don't use those
log levels" is a workaround if for no other reason that there will be
libraries that contain them and that becomes a "dont use those libraries
either" response.

My 2 cents,
Brad