dereferencing null

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Mar 6 20:05:03 PST 2012

On 3/6/2012 7:08 PM, Sean Kelly wrote:
> Minor point, but some apps are designed such that segfaults are intended. I
> worked on a DB that dynamically mapped memory in the segfault handler and
> then resumed execution.  Since D is a systems languages, very few assumptions
> can be made about error conditions.

Yes, and I've written a GC implementation that relied on intercepting invalid
page writes to construct its list of 'dirty' pages.

There's nothing in D preventing one from doing that, although for sure such code
will be very, very system specific.

What I'm talking about is the idea that one can recover from seg faults
resulting from program bugs.