Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Mar 7 07:36:45 PST 2012

On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 03:30:15PM +0100, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> On 3/7/12, Steven Schveighoffer <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I'll see if I can do a pull request.
>
> For my own purposes what I did was wrap StopWatch in a custom struct
> and used alias this to overwrite some of its functions. It's one of
> the things that makes D so great, I can basically rewrite an external
> API with zero hit on performance.

+1. And what makes D even greater, is that it can do this without stupid
convoluted syntax that either looks like line noise (*ahem*C++template
syntax*ahem*) or rewrites the entire language (*cough*Cmacros*ahem*).

> In fact, maybe we should add a note of this capability to the
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adapter_pattern page (e.g. a
> "compile-time adapter" section)

Beware the deletionists, though, if you do it.

Let's call it an accidental feature. -- Larry Wall