Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Mar 7 10:38:08 PST 2012

"Adam D. Ruppe" <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:sgmfyzmrfygshlmfqsdj at forum.dlang.org...
> On Tuesday, 6 March 2012 at 20:20:47 UTC, Derek wrote:
>> Should we use American or English spelling? Color verses Colour, for
>> example?
>
> I can go either way. I lean toward English spelling
> though, simply because America is the exceptional
> country (in the world and on the newsgroup too) in
> this regard.

British English may be the more "official" English, with American English as
a mere variation, but AIUI, the "de facto international language" is
American English, not British English, as a result of the US being a
long-time major economic superpower (for better or worse). England used to
be a major superpower, but that was centuries ago, and from what I can tell,
American English seems to be the preferred "de facto standard" English now.

'Course, I'm in the US, so I may simply be biased just because, as an
american, I do,  for example, prefer "color" over "colour". (OTOH, I think
the word "lorry" is awesome. Not sure if I spelled it right, though.)

Speaking of...do the British actually pronounce colour with a "u" sound? If
not, I'd argue "color" really is a better spelling ;) (Not as good as
"kulr", but whatever)

> But, either option is better than "Clr" or "Col".

"clr" is the verb "clear" and "col" is "column" :)