Poll of the week: main OS and compiler

Mars - at -.-
Wed Mar 7 14:07:11 PST 2012

On Friday, 2 March 2012 at 11:53:56 UTC, Manu wrote:
> Personally, I just want to be able to link like a normal
> windows developer.
> My code is C/C++, built with VC, and I want to link my D app
> against those
> libs using the VC linker, and debug with Visual Studio. This is
> the
> workflow I think the vast majority of Windows devs will expect,
> and it
> sounds simple enough. This is the only thing standing between
> me using D
> for any major projects, and just experimenting with the
> language for
> evaluation, or just academic interest.
> 64bit is far less important to me personally, VisualC linker
> compatibility
> is the big one. I just want to link against my C code without
> jumping
> through lots of hoops.

That's exactly my problem... and although I love D, these hurdles
made me take a step back, to C++, while I wait for this to
change, so I can finally use D efficiently.

I'm sure this isn't a trivial task, but the problematic isn't new
after all. Why hasn't it been addressed yet? In my eyes this
should be a top priority, to make it easier for new users to get
into D. Till this poll I actually believed the problem was that D
isn't used much by Windows users.