Is it bad for object.di to depend on core.exception?

Daniel Murphy yebblies at nospamgmail.com
Wed Mar 7 17:37:20 PST 2012

"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote in message
news:mailman.176.1331147910.4860.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On Sun, Mar 04, 2012 at 07:31:49AM +0100, Martin Nowak wrote:
>> Wasn't the latest proposal that we add a working AA implementation to
>> the runtime and switch the compiler after that has settled?
>
> Is somebody working on that? If not, I may take a crack at doing it.
>
> And by runtime you mean object_.d, right? aaA.d is already part of
> druntime, from what I understand. :-)

> --
> If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces. -- Software disclaimer notice

I was the one that recently tried to get AAs rolled back to the D1
implemenation (unsuccessfully) but I'm not working on a reimplementation.
The closed pull requests are sitting on github if you'd like to take a look
at them.

For it to be 'fixed', AAs need to be able to do all the things they can do
now, including producing error messages with V[K] instead of
AssociativeArray!(K, V), magic initialization and the same reference
semantics.  They also need to _work_ in ctfe, either because the
implementation is available and ctfeable, or because the calls get
translated late enough that the interpreter can pick out the
IndexExps/DotIdExps and treat them specially.

At the moment I'm leaning towards doing the translations in the glue layer,
and using ufcs for everything else, but whatever works.  There's a thread on
the internals mailing list that lists some of the issues with the current
implementation.