Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

Kapps opantm2+spam at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 18:20:23 PST 2012

On Wednesday, 7 March 2012 at 19:12:25 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Supporting stuff like 5.hours will introduce additional
> complications to
> D's lexical structure, though. The lexer will have to
> understand it as
> (int:5)(.)(ident:hours) rather than (float:5.)(ident:hours).
> And then if
> you actually *wanted* a float, you'd have another ambiguity:
> 5..hours
> could mean (float:5.)(.)(ident:hours) or (int:5)(..)(hours). And
> 5.0.hours just looks... weird.

Actually, Kenji's pull request for UFCS already takes care of
this. Things like 5. aren't allowed, nor is 5.f; a number has to
follow the decimal. So 5.f would invoke UFCS function f with the
integer 5. I believe this change is already merged, though the
rest of the UFCS pull request isn't unfortunately.