Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Mar 7 19:00:12 PST 2012

On Wednesday, March 07, 2012 22:55:51 Stewart Gordon wrote:
> The mention of this one reminds me of another issue: capitalisation
> consistency.  It would be nice to standardise whether acronyms/initialisms
> occurring within names have just the first letter or all letters
> capitalised.  I'm thinking best is to treat them as words and therefore
> capitalise just the first letter.  Though I've been known to do otherwise
> in the past.

I'm completely in favor of treating acronyms as being all captalized if the
first letter is capitilized and all lowercase if the first letter is lowercase.
It's actually a bit of a pet peeve of mine when people do stuff like Ascii
instead of ASCII. And most of Phobos goes with fully capitilizing rather than
just capitilizing the first letter. It's not completely consistent though.

> But it's confusing enough that there are still many functions in Phobos
> whose names are all lowercase when they should be camelCase.

That's _mostly_ been fixed. The main remaining culprits that I'm aware of are
the std.string functions which take patterns. There was some discussion of
replacing them with functions which take regexes. If we do that, then they'll
be replaced with properly camelcased names. But _most_ of the function names
in Phobos have been fixed to be properly camelcased.

- Jonathan M Davis