Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

Regan Heath regan at netmail.co.nz
Thu Mar 8 03:04:28 PST 2012

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 10:21:00 -0000, Derek <ddparnell at bigpond.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 05:38:08 +1100, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
>

>> British English may be the more "official" English, with American
>> English as a mere variation ...
>

> In one sense, American English is often a sort of abbreviated version in
> which seemingly superfluous letters are omitted. But in other cases, it
> more accurately reflects pronunciation (colorize verses colourise).

In Britain (where I live) there are people to pronounce the 'u' in colour,
and colourise.  The difference is subtle, and I've found many people
simply cannot hear it.  It's the reason many people (and the brash
American tourist stereotype springs to mind - but there are people the
world over) have trouble learning and speaking a foreign language, they
cannot hear where they're going wrong (or they don't care - which is a
different issue).  I think my own ear is able to hear some, perhaps a good
number of the subtleties, for example it was good enough that a local
Colombian thought I was myself Colombian after having spoken a few short
(uncomplicated, as my Spanish is basic at best) sentences with them.

>> Speaking of...do the British actually pronounce colour with a "u"
>> sound? If
>> not, I'd argue "color" really is a better spelling ;) (Not as good as
>> "kulr", but whatever)
>
> I'm not sure about British pronunciation (I'm Australian) but 'color' is
> said as "kull-ore' and 'colour' is said like 'kull-er' or even 'kull-ah'.

This is why Australians and New Zealanders (myself) should not be asked
how to pronounce words, our vowels are all either 'wrong' or missing
completely. :p

Back to the main topic, being from NZ, where British English is the
standard, I prefer it to American.  But, I can easily adapt to whichever
is used in a body of code.

Regan