Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Mar 8 11:13:15 PST 2012

"Alix Pexton" <alix.DOT.pexton at gmail.DOT.com> wrote in message
news:jja8k8$j14$1 at digitalmars.com...
>I feel compelled to point out that there is no such thing as "British
>English". There is English, the written language with all its archaic
>spellings and there are many spoken dialects, the most formal of which is
>RP (Received Pronunciation) sometimes called The Queen's English (even
>though she is German).

Yea, that is a good point. OTOH, it's often convenient (and common) to
assume one particular "de facto standard" dialict unless otherwise stated.
Here in the US, we have regional dialects too (although perhaps not to the
same extent as how much the British dialects differ from each other), but
when people either inside or outside the US refer to "American English",
typically they're referring to the one that's spoken in the US mid-west and
on TV/movies. Similarly, in the western world, "Japanese" is, by default,
considered to be the Tokyo dialect (as opposed to Kansai or whatever other
ones there may be).

It might be different in Europe, but in the US, we think of "British
English", unless otherwise specified, as being the London/"Queen's English"
version. At least, those of us who are aware of the varied British dialects
;)

FWIW.

> I tolerate USian spellings

I see I'm not the only one with a pet peeve that "'America' is two
continents, not one country" :)

> as much as non-English speaking programmers do, because I see it as an
> accepted "Programmer's English".

Being from the US I couldn't be sure, but that's what I has suspected.