[OT] American versus British spelling and pronunciation

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Mar 8 15:22:32 PST 2012

On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:29:05PM +0000, Stewart Gordon wrote:
> On 08/03/2012 19:29, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> <snip>
> >Another thing is, I can't roll my R's. My tongue as stiff as a stick
> >and just refuses to roll anything, no matter how hard I try.
> <snip>
>
> I can't roll my tongue either.  I'm told it's genetic. :)
>
> But anyway, to me, rolling Rs seems pretentious....
[...]

Well, it's pretentious in English, but quite mellifluous in Russian. :-)
Though I'm told that even for native Russian speakers, it's one of the
last sounds acquired, so it must be pretty difficult. (And to make
things worse, they have *two* rolled R's, one palatized, one not. As if
one R isn't hard enough already.)

Doubt is a self-fulfilling prophecy.