[OT] American versus British spelling and pronunciation

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Mar 8 15:27:18 PST 2012

"Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:jjbbrn$2o1n$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 08/03/2012 19:29, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> <snip>
>> Another thing is, I can't roll my R's. My tongue as stiff as a stick and
>> just refuses to roll anything, no matter how hard I try.
> <snip>
>
> I can't roll my tongue either.  I'm told it's genetic. :)

I couldn't pronounce R at all until I was taught it sometime around third or
fourth grade (Interestingly, I didn't even know that I couldn't pronounce
it). When I was learning it, rolling the R was the *only* way I could
pronounce R. Once I learned to speak a non-rolled R, I completely *lost* the
ability to roll my R's. Fast-foward many years until now, and I can *kinda*
roll them.

Anyway, I just always thought that was weird.

> But anyway, to me, rolling Rs seems pretentious....

It seems Spanish to me ;) "Get your yappy 'perro' off my leg!"