Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com
Fri Mar 9 01:03:14 PST 2012

On 09/03/12 05:54, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 07:07:04PM -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> [...]
>> Heh one of us should hack up DMD to produce a NihonD, using (or at
>> least allowing) kanji instead of the kanas wherever appropriate :)
>> That'd be both fun to make and to use.
> [...]
>
> On another note, I've always dreamt about a language where keywords are
> i18n'd. Every keyword has an equivalent in every language (well, up to
> the languages currently supported, of course), and can be used
> interchangeably.
>
> Support for Arabic and Hebrew would be tricky because of the
> right-to-left thing, but cool if it can be pulled off. Even cooler would
> be to support top-to-bottom, right-to-left for traditional Chinese
> writing. Don't know how it would interoperate with code written in
> English, though. :-P (Though it would mainly be a display issue, since
> at the Unicode level everything is just an unambiguous sequence of
> characters.)

Ugh. VBA does that. It's just horrid. I used to write the VBA code on my
laptop, in English. But I could only test it on a German PC. If I found
a small bug, I'd fix it on the test system. Problem is, when you look at
the code, the keywords and built-in functions have all changed.

Trying to guess which German word the keyword changes to is a nightmare,
especially when there are abbreviations. Eg, AVG() <--> MITTELWERT().