Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

Alix Pexton alix.DOT.pexton at gmail.DOT.com
Fri Mar 9 02:47:40 PST 2012

On 09/03/2012 00:07, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> But yea, it would be interesting to see a langauge that was based on
> something very different. A German-based one would be fun. Or even better,
> something that doesn't use the Latin alphabet, like Japanese or Hebrew or
> Russian. Or Swahili (which is an awesome-sounding language). Designing/using
> an Arabic (right-to-left, IIRC) programming language would be a great
> mind-fuck. Heh one of us should hack up DMD to produce a NihonD, using (or
> at least allowing) kanji instead of the kanas wherever appropriate :) That'd
> be both fun to make and to use.

I recall, but have no idea where to start looking for it, reading an
article about why English is the only language that works for
programming. I think the jist was that its archaic rules allowed any
syntax needed to be shoe-horned into place. After all, "grammatical,
everything Yoda says, is." Or perhaps it is a relic of lost colonialism
that English is good for listing instructions.

Having said that, I'd love to see a programming language that was based
on Welsh/Gaelic/Irish/Cornish/Occitan/Catalan, they make for beautiful
sounding poetry (no idea what they mean though) and I have a theory that
poetic languages would be good for programming in.

Also I think I remember there being a Greek version of C, but it never
took off even in Greece.

A...