Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Mar 9 13:14:08 PST 2012

"Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> wrote in message
news:jj6gjm$2m6a$1 at digitalmars.com...

> But, I'm thinking this whole "dur vs duration" matter is stupid anyway.
> Seconds, hours, etc *are* durations. What the hell do we even need the
> "dur" or "duration" for anyway?
>
> I say fuck it: Let's just toss this into core.time (or std.datetime or
> whatever) and be done:
>
> alias dur!"years" years;
> alias dur!"months" months;
> alias dur!"weeks" weeks;
> alias dur!"days" days;
> alias dur!"hours" hours;
> alias dur!"minutes" minutes;
> alias dur!"seconds" seconds;
> alias dur!"msecs" msecs;
> alias dur!"usecs" usecs;
> alias dur!"hnsecs" hnsecs;
>
> And then we have the brevity issue solved (and in fact, improved over
> "dur"), so then "dur" can (and should) change to "duration" without
> screwing up brevity. And all probelms are optimally solved. As for the
> possibility of new name collisions: Honestly, in this case I see no reason
> to give a shit.

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/pull/174

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/485

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/tools/pull/23

I completely understand the "secs==seconds" pull request being rejected and
I think that's perfectly reasonable...

But I'm going to be really pissed if this one's rejected out of some
misapplied, overly-puritanical obsession with "no aliases".