Breaking backwards compatiblity

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Mar 9 15:14:39 PST 2012

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 11:46:24PM +0100, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
> On 09-03-2012 23:32, Walter Bright wrote:
> >This statement is from Linus Torvalds about breaking binary compatibility:
> >
> >https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/3/8/495
> >
> >While I don't think we need to worry so much at the moment about
> >breaking binary compatibility with new D releases, we do have a big
> >problem with breaking source code compatibility.
> >
> >This is why we need to have a VERY high bar for breaking changes.
>
> If we want to start being able to avoid breaking changes, we
> *really* need to finally deprecate the stuff that's been slated for
> deprecation for ages...
[...]

Does that include std.stdio and std.stream? When are we expecting std.io
to be ready?

IMHO, this is one major change that needs to happen sooner rather than
later. The current lack of interoperability between std.stdio and
std.stream is a big detraction from Phobos' overall quality.

Жил-был король когда-то, при нём блоха жила.