Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Mar 9 15:50:50 PST 2012

Jonathan M Davis:

> I don't know what the current state of UFCS is.

I have found a possible problem in it, and probably there are some missing parts, but it's working well.

At first I didn't like it a lot because it's cheap syntax sugar that adds no new power and gives programmers more freedom to write different-looking versions of the the same code (and this is often bad). But I have soon found that it's able to make functional-style code more readable, because you write:
x.foo().bar().baz().spam()

Instead of this, where my eye sometimes loses count of the nesting level:
spam(baz(bar(foo(x))))

Bye,
bearophile