Breaking backwards compatiblity

Manfred Nowak svv1999 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 9 16:10:27 PST 2012

Walter Bright wrote:

>  we need to have a VERY high bar for breaking changes.

To me a "breaking change" is a change in the documentation, i.e. change
that narrows the validity of inputs, widens the validity of outputs,
disables side effects which are enabled or enables side effects which
are not mentioned before. Last but not least: all changes of the
mapping from input to output are breaking changes too.

Although you yourself have stated, that the docs have precedence, I do
believe, that the documentation was never in total sync with the
behaviour of dmd.

Therefor without further description of "VERY high bar", demanding such
seems to be pointless.

-manfred